04 May Tips That Identify Authentic Leaders From the Rest
What distinguishes Authentic Leaders versus The Rest (Bosses, Autocrats, and Tyrants, etc.)? Here are a couple of things that stand out….
- Leaders are credible – they actually know their business – The Rest only assume they know.
- Leaders focus on the why and the how – The Rest focus only on the what
- Leaders care first about their people – The Rest care first about the results those people generate
- Leaders stay in the game but let the players play – The Rest try to dictate the game and worry only about the score
- Leaders earn trust by giving it freely – The Rest lose trust because they don’t offer it
- Leaders are committed to a vision of what can be – The Rest are focused only on where we are now
- Leaders understand the power of “we” – The Rest are focused on the power of “me”
- Leaders recognize their position can only be earned – The Rest depend on a company title
- Leaders affect the heart and the head – The Rest affect only the hands and the feet
- Leaders help make us better – The Rest say only “you better…”
- Leaders freely extend credit and praise – The Rest demand credit and praise
- Leaders search for solutions – The Rest search for blame
- Leaders build people equity – The Rest simply spend it
- Leaders influence and support – The Rest command and compel
- Leaders develop more leaders – The Rest often extinguish them
- Leaders are respected – The Rest are either feared or despised.
- Leaders have your back – The Rest are on your back
Most companies can boast of very few authentic leaders. In some cases it may be because they haven’t taken the time to decide what a real one looks like.